September 5, 2014
Here we go!
I reached week 17 in my pregnancy today. Holy crap... where is the time going?! I had an appointment this morning and was basically told that the Little Monster not only has a strong heart beat but is also doing backflips and burpees in there left and right... she could tell that by wooshing noise the doppler made every time it moved. She used the words "very active" and asked if I had felt any movement as of yet... and what do you know, I have! Amazing to say the very least! The sound of my baby's heart beat is just a sound that will never get old. There is just no way to describe my emotions.
Everyone has known about my pregnancy now for almost two weeks.The happiness and excitement that everyone has for Hubs and I and our families when they hear or when they see us for the first time is just so awesome! We continue to get more and more excited with each "congratulations" and hug or handshake! Honestly, I still cant even believe that this is all real... that I am going to be a Mama... Its still crazy to me
that this tiny life is forming and its my responsibility to give it
everything it needs for the next 5 months (and than the rest of its
life). I still cant wrap my head around it.
Anyway, having talked to pretty much everyone I know in the last two weeks it has become pretty clear to me that there are some standard questions that come out as soon as someone announces they are pregnant.
1. How do you feel?
2. When are you due?
3. Are you going to find out what your having?
... and if you are "obsessed" with CrossFit the infamous
4. Are you going to have to stop CrossFit? Cut back? Well you have to stop lifting... no?
I know I have asked them (except the CrossFit one) to my friends hundreds of times and I'm not going to lie, it feels a little strange having the questions asked to me! I wanted to take my first post answer these... and yeah I will elaborate on some more than others.
1. I feel absolutely amazing. When I first learned that I was pregnant I was scared that I was going to go through some horrible morning sickness or be exhausted or have any food aversions and headaches. I was pleasantly surprised to not have any of the above. In the first few days after we found out I had this super sonic smell thing going on... but that went away pretty quickly. Other than that, its been business as usual. I/We think it might have something to do with the lifestyle that I live. I have not stopped getting up when my alarm goes off for my 5:30am CF Class. I have not gone crazy bizerco on eating anything and everything just because I am pregnant. I have continued to take my Pure Pharma vitamin pack and protein powders (both after workouts and my night time formula) and I have really just pushed through any tiredness I might have felt just like I normally did before I was pregnant. I am knocking on wood as we speak here... but really, its been pretty great!
2. I am due February 13, 2015... so mark your calendars folks, there will be a guaranteed snowstorm that day!
3. Hubs and I have decided we do not want to find out what we are having. Yes, I am serious. Yes, I am ok with yellow and green.
4. Stop CrossFit?! Blasphemy! This is a CF blog... so you know I will be talking about that through the majority of the posts. You also, if you read this, know that I would not be stopping any time soon. I informed M right away to be sure that someone at the gym knew when I was there. It is certainly important to tell your coach. We talked about the next steps and really, the fact that that early on in my pregnancy... I didnt have any restrictions. I just made sure that I stayed hydrated and went right back out to the gym floor to continue my training. At that time I was 6 weeks.
When I called to make my initial appointment I asked abut the gym and my HR and getting high and my body temperature getting way up there... and the nurse assured me that I was ok and just keep going. She reassured my initial thoughts that at that point I had no weight restrictions and my HR and body temp were fine with what I was doing. I took the "keep doing what your doing" literally and continued. Same results came from my intake exam. They "approved" all my vitamins and proteins so... that was that.
At 13 weeks I had my first Dr appointment. I was super nervous and a little excited at the same time. Didnt really "feel" like anything was going on... since I had no sickness or any of the "normal" pregnancy symptoms. I again asked her questions about gym safety and she said that my body will tell me when its time to slow down. I am perfectly safe seeing as how I have been doing this for three years. That day, Hubs and I were completely overwhelmed by the sound of our baby's heartbeat. My heart totally stolen forever!
From the point of my first appointment until now, I feel like I may have slowed down a bit during my workouts (though I did PR Diane by two whole minutes!). I havent scaled any weights from what has been prescribed, I am still squatting below 90, I am still on the ground after a workout with everyone else... but I do feel like its not as easy to push through as it used to be. I am just trying to trust my body and let go of the clock. I have lots of skills to work on so I am focused on that and I think now is a good time to really focus on my form. I will keep myself and the lil' one safe by doing so. Overall I feel really really great and I am super happy that I am able to continue to be strong and healthy through this experience.
I am going to make a few adjustments to my food... I have minor cravings that I am trying to keep at bay. Nothing too crazy, but for some reason mayonnaise is on that list! I am going to keep tracking on MFP to make sure I am feeding us both... (weird) enough food to supplement my workouts. I have also continued to see my chiropractor, which I love. He is great and has worked with many many women who have been pregnant so he is super excited for us!
So, I think that just about covers the first chapter of the new book... I wanted to update and let y'all know I am feeling great!!
If anyone is reading this and has any questions please dont hesitate to ask... please please please again... as I said in my first post, if you are pregnant or just found out... consult with your coaches and more importantly your doctors before doing anything!!