Friday, September 16, 2011

Bye Bye Block Jog...

September 16, 2011

Well, today is the last day of workouts a CFW current location. Starting Monday I have to get myself up and out the door by 5:10am for the 5:30 workout! I am really looking forward to the new space and having the space for new and exciting things to work on! I have been pushing it getting up right now at 5:20 so I am not there till 5:40ish, so it will be an adjustment. I know I will be fine once we get into the groove! I will have to pack a bag the night before and have everything ready to go! I used to get up that time every day for work, so its just a matter of not "snoozing."

It was CHILLY this morning. I went for my last block jog... while I was doing it I was thinking how far I have come in the 5 weeks that I have been doing this. My mind is different, my body is different and when I am asked to do the block jog I dont hesitate to get through the whole thing. My feet feel lighter, my breathing is more controlled and it no longer feels like the one loop (which I think is about .3 miles or something) is a mile long! I love it. It was cold though... thats for sure! Nice clean crisp fall air!

I had to get the laundry this morning so when I went downstairs I peeked on my lap top before I got dressed to see what the WOD was. Loving the thought of back squats and ready to get close to my 1RM for 5 reps... but when I saw the 10-20-30-20-10 for burpees and weighted overhead carry lunges right away I thought it was going to be a long workout!

T and I were warmed up together. Than it was time for back squats. I knew my 1RM was 185lbs a few weeks ago, and the last time they were in a WOD I did 175lbs for 3 reps... my goal was to get as close to my 1RM for 5 reps as possible. I stared with a set of 95lbs just to warm up... and worked my way up alternating with T for rest. The first lift was 160lbs, for some reason it felt heavy. I accidentally stopped and relaxed at the bottom of the squat. K said she was about to tell me on after the first rep but I noticed it myself and fixed it for the rest of the set. The next at 171lbs was heavy. K asked when I was done if I could feel my knees falling forward coming up from the squat. The told me to concentrate on screwing my feet into the floor to prevent that. When I had 180 on the bar my goal was just to get the 5 reps in. I thought of everything she said, hold in my core, keep everything tight, dont relax at the bottom and screw into the floor. All 5 were successful!! Goodbye 1RM!

Now it was onto the WOD. I was apprehensive, but ready. I was going to do this with little to no rest in between sets. K set the time and I was off. Blew through the first 10 burpees and 25lb overhead lunges... I was feeling good. I started the set of 20 and when I hit 10 I thought, "oh my god, how am I going to do 30 of these." Nothing like thinking of the future, I had to get through the 20 first, I slowed down around 15 and just kept pushing. K kept saying "get down" and "dont stop moving" which was awesome because I listened to her. I didnt break, I didnt waste time.

The 20 walking lunches were tough. When I got to the end of the driveway after 10 I turned took the weight down, I am not to happy I did that... thats the only rest I had and I wish (in retrospect) that I pushed through it. The 30's were killer. In my mind while I was counting the burpees I was thinking 10, 10, 10... seems shorter that way. K was again reminding me to keep going and keep dropping, once you are down there you just have to get back up. I rested again at the midway of the 30 lunges... but I was watching the clock. K said "keep moving" and I was off.

When I started the next 20 I knew I was almost done. Dont stop now... through the 20 burpees and 20 walking lunges and onto the 10's. Ten felt like 2! My mind was saying "only ten, dont give up... dont slow down" and I was able to power through them pretty quick. I picked up the 25lbs plate to do the 10 lunges and K said "get under 13:00, you have 20 seconds to do 10" and kicked it into high geer. Found power somewhere in my body and moved pretty fast! Finished with a time of 13:01.... so almost under 13 min!

Bright side. I did it. Brighter side, it was WAY faster than I thought. Even brighter than that little to no rest at all... and super bright side... I didnt give up!

So as I drove away I bid farewell to the garage workouts and the "block". Not going to lie I will miss the intimacy of the garage and the closeness to my house... but I know what K and M have going with CrossFit Wachusett is awesome. This is going to be a fantastic move and I am really really looking forward to seeing their business be even more successful and watch the CFW

Buy Buy Garage...

Block Jog
3 Rounds
- 5 Push Ups
- 5 Inchworms
- 5 Pistols (each leg)
2X Bergner Warmup

- Burpees
- Weighted Overhead Lunges (25lbs)
(My time 13:01 Rx)

Back Squat 5-5-5
(160lbs, 170lbs, 180lbs)

7:00am: Post Workout Shake
8:00am: Banana
8:45am: Green Tea
9:30am: Banana, Peach, Coconut Water and a little Goats Milk smoothie (thanks Mike!)
1:00pm: Grilled Chicken and Cauliflower "Rice" with a little olive oil and vinegar dressing

No comments:

Post a Comment